Frequently asked questions
Using the telescope
- Is it possible to operate the telescopes from Windows?
- Yes, the prefered way to do it is to run
the Observation HOWTO for more
- What is local standard of rest (LSR)?
- The motion of the sun relative to a hypothetical circular orbit
about the centre of the galaxy. The local standard of rest is
approximately 16.5 km/s in the direction of the galactic
coordinates l = 53°, b = 23°.
- Are the velocities given from DRP relative to the LSR?
- Yes, the speed in respect to the LSR in the observed direction is
calculated by qradio and stored in the fits header under
the keyword VLSR. This information is then read by DRP